I don’t know about you, but I am fed up with email hoaxes and people forwarding them without doing a little fact-checking. Sure, I do it all the time on Twitter (posting or RT’ing without checking it out for myself), but never with an email. It may be because I only email people I really know and don’t really care that much about my tweets, and besides, on Twitter, there is an impetus to stay current, like you know, real-time. What prompted this post is the following email I’ve just received (copied and pasted, unedited):
“YOU HAVE TO LOVE HIM……READ THIS!
HE MADE THIS SPEECH IN NEW YORK .
Robin Williams, wearing a shirt that says ‘ I love New York ‘ in Arabic.
You gotta love Robin Williams ……..Even if he ‘ s nuts! Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.
Robin Williams ‘ plan…(Hard to argue with this logic!)
‘ I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here ‘ s one plan. ‘
1) ‘ The US /UK/ AUSTRALIA will apologize to the world for our ‘ interference ‘ in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those ‘ good ‘ ole ‘ boys ‘ , we will never ‘ interfere ‘ again.
2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany , South Korea , the Middle East , and the Philippines . They don ‘ t want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.
3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave We ‘ ll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are from. They ‘ re illegal!!! France will welcome them..
4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don ‘ t like it there, change it yourself and don ‘ t hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don ‘ t need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers..
5) No foreign ‘ students ‘ over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don ‘ t attend classes, they get a ‘ D ‘ and it ‘ s back home baby.
6) The US /UK/ Australia will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while
7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don ‘ t like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)
8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not ‘ interfere. ‘ They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.
9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don ‘ t need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.
10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us ‘ Ugly Americans ‘ any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH..learn it…or LEAVE…Now, isn ‘ t that a winner of a plan?
‘ The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying ‘ Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses. ‘ She ‘ s got a baseball bat and she ‘ s yelling, ‘ you want a piece of me? ‘
If you agree with the above, forward it to friends…If not, and I would be amazed if you DELETED it!!“
Now, all it takes to verify this (or most forwarded email, for that matter) is to go to snopes.com and/or factcheck.org, two reputable sites where you can, if you fancy, you truth-seeker, verify the, well, veracity of most tales going around the interwebz. Go check this one out for yourself– http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/williams.asp Sure, sounds like a logical plan, and some parts of it make sense (okay, maybe the part where they strung some letters together to make words make sense–it is mostly haughty and high-handed, like a sober Rush Limbaugh on a bright sunny day picnicking at the park, perhaps), but don’t use Robin Williams’ name to make a statement. All I ask of you is to check it out. You’re already online anyway.